A few weeks ago Lincoln Perk had a college night. The college came over with fire pits and roasted marshmallows. They came in for hot chocolate and lattes. I kept thinking to myself these kids look young. They didn't look like they should be in college. One of my three coworkers said, "Jena you're like our mom tonight!" I don't remember what I was going exactly.
I thought about that and it made me feel old. I felt like I was their age. I really didn't think of myself as the "older" person in the group. We were having fun making lattes, laughing, spilling milk..the usual.
I invited them over to watch a movie because it was close to midnight and 3 of us had to be back to work at 6:30. We figured we should stay up and make a night of it.
My husband was not so excited about this idea. When I called home he said "JENA IT'S ALMOST MIDNIGHT WHY ARE YOU CALLING OUR HOUSE!" He reminded me that we have three children sleeping and our house is not a sorority. Whatever that means. So our movie was a no go.
I still thought man he is grumpy. At home he said "Those girls are way younger then you, you need friends your own age." (Which I have thank you)
Saturday morning my legs were cramping. My brain wasn't working. I just wanted to take some Motrin and go to bed. My old body did not bounce back in 6 hours like the other two.
Yesterday at work we were laughing about that night and my coworker said "well you are like 7 years older then us "
I guess this means I need to grow up and not think I can hang with the young 20 somethings. I'm old. I'm 2 years and 9 months away from being 30. Most of my friends here in Hesston are 30 or 31. They have kids the same age as our kids. They go to our church or mom group. They are great friends. I never feel that they are old. We have late movie nights and latte laughter together. I wouldn't replace them for anything.
Maybe being a young mom has made me old before I was ready. I missed out on those late night college years with friends. My trip to Drubers at midnight is usually with one my girls. My late night movies were Cinderella and Snow White with a toddler running a 102 temp, puking or having a nightmare.
I do not regret any of this. I love my life. If you are in college....be young. Enjoy those late nights and early morning shifts. Take pictures and mental notes. When you are close to 30 you can look back and not think "Where did my 20's go?"
| He says I need to act my age??! I met this guy in 2000. He has changed a few things (no earrings) but he's still the man I fell in love with. |
| I'm still the old lady in the picture. These three make me feel old! I remember when they were born! Now two are in college, one is married, and they are three of the most beautiful girls I know! |
![]() |
| See... this was before I was 20. I look like a 12 year old. Heather and Jocelyn can testify that I was fun when I was 19. Okay maybe not because I had a toddler and didn't really do much then either. |
| Old People Travel..okay we have gone to one place. So this doesn't count. Most people would look like this in a honeymoon picture about age 25. This was close to our 6th year wedding anniversary. |

I will stay up late with you every night. And go to Druber's and whatever else you want. The old man I live with goes to bed at 10 pm b/c he gets up at 5.
ReplyDeleteDid I tell you about those college guys asking me if I was someone's mom?
We are old.
I do remember seeing that on facebook. Seriously what is wrong with these kids! haha. They will be lucky to look as good as we do when they have three kids! haha
ReplyDelete