What are your Christmas/Holiday Traditions?
I kick off Christmas Black Friday Shopping. Some years I only have a few dollars but I still make it fun. My Aunt, Her best friend Lori, and my best friend Heather...oh the stories we could tell you. Let's just say Furbies a special place in my heart. Last year I went with my mother in law, Gwen, and Mikaela. We found marshmallow shooters for $12! There is always a memory and always a good laugh.
The following day I sleep! Nebraska always plays the Friday after Thanksgiving. I usually recruit the girls and we decorate for Christmas that Friday or Saturday. Getting the tree up and chaning my pictures on the walls.
Some things I do in December...
--Listen to Christmas Music..well I already started that this year. Some favorites,..What Child Is This?; Anything Bing Cosby; I Need A Silent Night- Amy Grant; I Want a Hippo for Christmas...a must!; The list could go on and on....
--Of course baking...I LOVE to make peppernuts, sugar cookies, chocolate dipped pretzels, peanut butter balls, ritz crackers with peanut butter then dipped in chocolate...endless possiblities. I then give most of it away because I don't really like to eat the stuff. I just like to make it. Donnie gets his share and the girls pick some. A plate of cookies to the local USPS. They LOVE it. I know it's a busy time of year for them and it makes them smile.
-- Pick an angel from the tree at the mall or walmart. Even the years we could barely buy our own kids something we've picked out an angel and bought something. I try to find the ones that say coat, blanket, etc. Then I add a toy to that item.
--Each Daughter gets an ornament. I try to find something that reminds me of them. One year they got snow angels because I know they love the snow. I think Kendal got a double decker bus one year because she wanted to go to London. It was a phase now she wants to go to China.
--P.J's. I buy the girls Christmas PJ's and they get to open that one gift on Christmas Eve. They know it's coming but they get excited. My Aunt Shawn always did the ornament and the pj's and I just picked that as something to carry on from my childhood.
--Meeting
--Each daughter gets to pick a Christmas movie and we watch movies the week before Christmas in the evenings. Charlie Brown Christmas and Rudolph have to be my favorites with the kids.
--I read the book Christmas Shoes and force Donnie to watch it with me at least once in December.
--Donnie's mom buys the girls a Christmas Dress each year.
--Most importnantly we talk to the girls about the birth of Jesus. We have three or four nativity sets. They are for different ages. We read the story of Christmas we have board books for Kylie, picture books and a couple versions of the Bible. We pick a different version and sit down on the couch together.
--Advent Calendars are a big hit with the girls too. We have a Manger set they fight over and calucate who will get to place baby Jesus. We have a chocolate one they get one piece a day. This year I'm doing a new one. Each day has a card with a bible verse and an activity. I'm really excited to show it to them and see how they respond.
What are your traditions? What is something you carried from your childhood into your children's childhood? We have one awesome God to give us the greatest gift ever. I think celebrating from November until Janurary is completely okay. Even in the middle of summer listening to some Christmas music is great.
If I was more confident I would wear a "JESUS IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON" shirt!

No comments:
Post a Comment