Wednesday, January 25, 2012
Ike's House
Today I had a wonderful idea. Remember in 4th grade or maybe it was 5th grade and the field trip to Eisenhower Center was the highlight of our year? Okay maybe it wasn't a highlight but any field trip was a great school day! They have the house the Ike grew up in and you got to go in and see where his mom cooked dinner, where they read books, all that jazz....
I came to the conclusion that is how my Grandma Ella's house should have been maintained. I drove by it today in Hillsboro and I'm pretty sure I would have paid to go inside. I know in reality I would never want to go back in there. I want to remember it the way Grandma had it but for a second I dreamed...
I would love to walk in the back door because we never used the front door. First, I would see her deep freeze with the red cloth over the top. Probably a schwan's bucket with popcorn or noodles on top of it. Then her frig door filled with photos, newspaper clippings, and Christmas cards. Grandma's pie plates were hung but at easy access to be used regularly.
In her dining room you'd find her big family table. It also doubled as a tornado shelter. Long story. Grandpa had a chair that would recline up and down. That was always in the corner of the dining room. Along with encyclopedias and Uncle Doug's rocking chair from his childhood. One book that was always on Grandma's shelf, Stone Soup. Grandma read that to me at least 100 times.
Into the living she had her big windows that looked out in the drive way. I was aloud to play out in the drive away as long as her or Grandpa could see me. For Christmas Grandma put a Christmas tree made of Gerber baby food jars with lights in them, on the ledge of that big window. That was my favorite decoration. There was a recliner and a couch but the most important was a big blue pillow that laid across the arm of the couch and recliner. If you lucky you could lay on that pillow while Grandma sat in recliner and she would rub your back. She would read Janette Okes, watch Price Is Right, As The World Turns, Guiding Light, or listen to Ricky Van Shelton while sitting in that recliner. It wasn't anything big or special but it was perfect for Grandma Ella.
Grandma didn't end up being a president like Ike or even a hometown hero of any kind. The tour wouldn't last long but I think people would see the love and hard work that Grandma put into her home. They could see the photos of her children and grandchildren through the years. They would smell the fresh baked goods or chicken simmering. They would feel the warmth of Grandma's love for her family. Grandma was one of the few people that never turned me away. She never made me felt unwelcome or out of place she loved me unconditionally.
I called my cousin and she told me to make some cinnamon rolls or pie. Do something that Grandma would do. I made cinnamon rolls this evening. The smell brought on some tears but in a good way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Love it. Thanks!
ReplyDelete- Tonya