This was from Norway, last March.
Three years ago in March this guy became the toughest guy I know. He doesn't let anything that happened that day slow him down. He plays piano, he plays softball, he can still do a perfect tie knot. He's amazing. Next Tuesday he will go in for ANOTHER finger surgery. His right index finger has really given him problems in these last three years. When his accident occurred they asked if we wanted to use skin graphs from the skin that was saved. Or cut the finger smaller. We picked the skin graph. We were told there are 10's of 1,000's of nail cells in each finger bed. So using the graphs came with the risk of reoccurring nail horns. We didn't realize that it would take 3 or more years to be rid of these cells. It could be five years or maybe this will be the last one. No one knows. We talked about shaving the bone down and the problem now is his tendion would be cut. Then we would lose function in that finger. He wouldn't have as much control over what he can do with that finger. Just not a good option.
*WARNING* NOT FOR THE WEAK STOMACH...
They use a little tool like an apple corer. They twist it in and pull out a piece of finger. That then leaves a hole in his finger that takes about 6 weeks to heal. For the first day it just bleeds and bleeds. He has to use a lot of gauze and tight coban wrap. It isn't pretty. He is in a lot of pain and very moody. Handles it a lot better then I would! Oh and he is not put under for this. They numb it and he lays on a table and they just take care of business. I usually get to watch. A few times I have had to look away I couldn't handle it. Probably why I have never wanted to be a nurse.
Next Tuesday 10:45 we will go back to Wichita. Please pray for Donnie's nerves. It is always the longest trip to Wichita on those mornings. I can't speak for Donnie but it makes my stomach turn. It shouldn't feel this way still but it does. I wish more then anything I could take the pain away from him. I could just rewind to March 25, 2008 and erase the whole thing.
I read a book this weekend called "Two Kisses for Maddy" The man lost his wife the day after giving birth to their daughter, March 25, 2008. I'm happy I read the book. It made me really think that Donnie's accident wasn't that big of a deal. It was a bad day. I dont want to take anything from Donnie. It was just a day and things could have been worse. We are lucky and thankful for the plan God has for us. Even if there are bumps in the road. They made us stronger.
My husband is a tough guy (even if he doesn't always look like one). I will never doubt that.
|
Let me watch the girls on Tuesday for you!
ReplyDelete