Thursday, September 1, 2011

What I remember...

Okay so this last week has been WILD to say the least.
I'm going to forget so many wonderful details and then add so many not so wonderful..bare with me I'm still on pain killers.

Last Friday.. I got a horrible cramp/pain in my shoulder blade and under my right breast. I went to the doctor and they thought I needed a mammogram. They scheduled it for Thursday (today). I got a shot in my butt for pain and sent on my mary way.


Through the night and Saturday I was in so much pain I could hardly move. I walked around the zoo and just smiled and enjoyed the day. I cried all the way home. To bad fair it was very hot out and Donnie was thinking I was just whining about the heat and how crowded the zoo was...he wasn't impressed with my baby attitude.


Sunday during church it hurt to stand and sing. I don't sing loud or even well. I had to sit down during every song.


Sunday night I had a hoodie and sweat pants on and was shaking because I was cold. Donnie at his point knew something wasn't right. He was holding me and I would just shake from pain and chills. I threw up twice.


Monday morning I called and told them I couldn't wait until Thursday something wasn't right. They rescheduled my mammogram for Tuesday. After taking Kylie to preschool I got another attack and drove myself to the doctor. I had to pull over twice because the pain was so bad I couldn't see straight.


The doctor admitted me to their hospital. I had an EKG, CAT Scan, blood work and nothing was amounting to anything. They narrowed it down to "gallbladder, shingles, ulcer, or some virus". They told me that my blood work didn't indicate the gallbladder so they weren't concerned.


I have about a 4 blogs worth of wonderful quotes from this hospital staff. Here is just a brief over view..
"are you from the Inman Colony?"  "I was born right here in this very hospital." "Wifi would be a great idea but most of the inpatients do not know how to use internet." "You are the youngest patient I've ever had"


My dear dear friend Tonya came to my rescue and basically told them to do the gallbladder surgery or she was taking me in her van to another hospital. This whole process was the biggest waste of time. I honestly love the doctors that were working with me. They were doing everything they could with what they were given. I have nothing bad to say about them. I plan on sending them a thank you note. Seriously I felt so bad for them because they wanted to help me and just couldn't.


I ended up checking myself out of that hospital around 6:30 Tuesday night. I went home for a couple hours and wanted to make it until morning. That didn't work out very well. Tonya picked me up and we headed to Newton's ER.


If you know me then you know when I'm nervous... I laugh a lot. I honestly think the ER nurse and doctor thought I was messing around. They didn't seem to believe me. It could have been that Tonya and I were researching the nearest nudest communities in Kansas. We booked our spring break with the kids next March. Bet you can't wait for that blog post!


Around 1 a.m. the ER doctor explained that my white count was 11 and nothing else really showed up. I about came out of the bed. I NEVER NEVER NEVER have a white count over 4. I don't know why or what is wrong with my white count but it's never high. Also at the previous hospital my white count was a 3.6 So this was a big change in just a few hours. I started to cry again in fear and Tonya once again saved the day. She told the doctor that I am not the type to sit around I am always on the go. 


The ER doctor said they do not admit people for gallbladder but he would do his best to find someone that would be willing to do it. His third attempt was a success. I was admitted and in my room by 2 a.m. Poor Tonya was on her way back to her family.


Wednesday morning about 8 a.m. the doctor came in and said surgery for my gallbladder was scheduled that night. He wanted to run a HEPA scan to see how my gallbladder was working. He said with all the pain, blood work, and symptoms he was 90% sure it was my gallbladder but he wanted one last thing to prove it. Around 3 I went into that scan. A little after 4 I was headed for surgery. During the scan I started to cramp they had to pause the scan so I could have relief it hurt so bad. I don't know how to explain this pain. It was worse then any labor I ever experienced.


My gallbladder had an output of 11% and they said the low number should be 35% so that means my gallbladder was not doing much. I did not have gallstones. I hear that would have mad the pain worse. God doesn't give us more then we can handle. Normally your gallbladder is the size of a jalapeno and mine was larger. My incisions were a little larger due to that. Also it was surrounded by fluid. We never got a real reason for that but that is not a good thing the doctor told Donnie.


After surgery I woke up asking for Donnie. I told the nurse I needed him to hold my hand. She asked me how long we had been married. I then do not remember much after that until this morning. I woke up a new woman. I am amazed at how something so small in your body can cause so much pain and grief.


I am so thankful for Donnie and Tonya sticking up for me when I couldn't. My aunts, mom, grandma, mother in law(S), friends, etc...so many people helped us with the girls this week. Donnie's co workers helped him while he was at work and had no idea if I was okay or not. God carried us through this crazy week. Our church family and community of Hesston. Everyone left me the best facebook comments, emails, phone calls. That meant the world to me.


My husband is my rock. He just amazes me on so many levels. He hates hospitals and he stayed last night with me and "slept" in a chair half his size. He didn't eat because it's the day before payday and we had about 5 dollars to our names. His mom bought him dinner last night but he wasn't about to let anyone know he didn't have any money for food. He's amazing. That's all I can say.




Anyway, Here are some pictures of the incisions. They are not really gross or anything but it's kind of fun to share. Don't look at my fat. It's actually all the gas they blew me up in. In real life I'm a size double zero. BAHAHA
Four cuts the hip and belly button are harder to see. It looks like I was in a knife fight.
Crap I should have gone with that story instead.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my word! We should've spent our time taking before pictures in the ER! When we go to the nudest colony, let's go with the knife fight story.

    I thought it before, but now I know it for certain...you are one amazing woman. I've never seen anyone handle such extreme pain with bravery and laughter and sheer will like you did. You inspire me, Jena!!

    And just for the record, next time we go to the ER, I'll hold all 4 drinks so Serious Sandy won't have to scold you! :)

    ReplyDelete