Saturday, May 5, 2012

Derby Day

It's Kentucky Derby Day... So I am going to tell my fondest memory of this day. Nope, I have never gone. I can't even tell you what horses were racing the day of this memory.

My sweet husband was trying to make a a Mint Julep for me. He said we were going to watch the derby we needed to do it in style. He got the recipe and thought he had all the ingredients. He needed to make a mint syrup for part of it. My Grandma told him about her friend having a ton of mint growing in her yard.

We called Ruth and asked if we could have some of her mint. She was more then happy to share.

Donnie was really excited. He was becoming the next Tom Cruise in Cocktail, mixing up the drink.

He hands me the drink with the "mint" piece as a garnish, smiling ear to ear. I take a drink and....it didn't taste like mint at all. It tasted like grass or dirt. It was nasty. Trying to not break his ego....I asked him if he was sure what he picked from Ruth's, was actually mint?!

Sure enough, he had picked weeds. But I will always remember this memory. If he had made it with mint I might have forgotten all about it.

Happy Kentucky Derby Day!


Here is the recipe I found for the real Mint Julep. If you want to try the weed one just pick a few weeds from your front yard. Yumm-o!

Mint Juleps
Serves 4
2 ounces mint infused simple syrup
8 ounces Kentucky bourbon
3 cups crushed ice
4 ounces seltzer
Mint leaves for garnish
Fill julep glasses with crushed ice. Combine simple syrup and bourbon in a cocktail shaker filled half way with crushed ice. Strain mixture into glasses, top with seltzer, garnish with mint sprig and serve.
Mint-Infused Simple Syrup
Makes scant 1 cup
1 cup water
1 cup superfine sugar
1 cup mint leaves, washed--Or weeds
Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves and the liquid becomes clear, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add mint leaves. Let stand for 15-30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Strain the syrup and discard the mint leaves. The syrup will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
To serve this drink, tried and true Southern belles call for an ice-frosted silver cup, in either sterling or coin silver, finished in a simple design called a "mint julep cup." When I find one at antique sales, I love to add to my collection. If you don't have one, there’s no pressure—just use what you have, as the real prize lies in the glass!
Here's a zesty and extra sweet version of the traditional julep for a true touch of the South.

1 comment:

  1. Sweetest man. Come over here and get some our mint. We have tons. And I can make you some mint syrup if you want!

    ReplyDelete