Sunday, August 26, 2012

My New Normal

When things get busy around my house, I often say, "I just want to be back to normal." I really have no idea what "normal" I am talking about.

Most of you know I started a new job on Monday. I'm working as a Teacher's Assistant to the 5th grade teachers at the Hesston Middle School. The job was not planned. I was sitting around the house one night and got a phone call about 9 p.m. The next day I made some calls and e-mails and put my name in the mix. I honestly felt like I had no experience, no college degree, no chance. The week before I had applied for a different job and didn't get an interview. I just thought, I did everything I could I will leave it up to God.

(A week ago) Thursday afternoon, I got a phone call about interviewing on Friday. At the interview I felt like my answers were crazy. I rambled, I used the words "I don't know" at least 5 times. The interview only lasted 15 minutes. I just felt like I had blown my chance. I wanted to go home, take my borrowed dress off, throw my hair (that took an hour to straighten up) into a pony tail and hide under the covers. Kylie didn't like that idea so we played play doh. I took her to the park. We baked and decorated my niece's birthday cake. I kept busy.

Mid-afternoon I got a text saying, "Has anyone called you yet? I heard they hired someone at the middle school." From a high school teacher/friend. I was ready to take the bowl of icing and eat every last ounce of it. I felt like crap.

A little bit later the phone rang. I knew it was the school and I figured it was to let me know they had hired someone else, thank you for taking the time blah blah blah. INSTEAD it was to offer me the job. I think I may have pinched myself.

I know this job isn't President of the United States. It's not like I just got some multi million dollar salary. But to me that is how it felt. The hours work perfect with my kids and their schedules. The pay was slightly more than I had expected. I have always wanted to work with kids and dreamed about being a teacher growing up. It's the next best thing.

I have felt like a contestant on "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader" several times.  I even had to ask the teacher about multiplying and dividing a problem. I was over thinking it and mixed cm and mm up. I hope that over time I will be less nervous and in the groove. It has only been a week.

Every morning I get up an hour before the girls. I eat my breakfast, get myself ready, check e-mail and then turn music up really loud. The girls generally wake up and pick their own songs. Two mornings we had some melt downs but we have not been late for school. Kylie has been adjusting to the new "normal". By Thursday she wasn't crying when I dropped her off in the morning.

After school last week I had a full schedule. Monday night, BOAM meeting; Tuesday night Parent Night at the Elementary School; Wednesday night I was supposed to attend a HNS meeting but didn't go; Thursday night Back to School Picnic at the Elementary School. This coming week we only have one "event" in the evenings. I really hope our new normal will leave some more relaxing time in the evenings. My legs would enjoy that.

I have to give a shout out to my friends and family that borrowed me clothes. I seriously do not have professional clothes. My shorts and t-shirts just did not fit into the dress code. Hopefully in October when I get my first paycheck I can buy each of you a latte or something to repay your kindness. Thank you so much!

School pictures are on Wednesday....I thought I would never have to worry about the "yearbook" photo again...ugh..wish me luck! I'm sure I'll get a nice pimple on Tuesday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment