Working there wasn't a normal job. Everyone was family. Even if we drove each other crazy at times we were all apart of a family. Mary wasn't just a boss. She was a friend and truly cared about each one of us. The coffee and other drinks are awesome but they didn't make it Lincoln Perk, Mary did. I think I owe Mary for a glass 13 x 9 pan, a glass pie pan, maybe a cup or two, and at least a couple dozen cookies that burned or flopped. Mary would laugh with us and joke with us. I think it's safe to say that everyone felt like Mary's family that worked there.
Will there be a Christmas Morning breakfast? Christmas Blend has been apart of our Christmas morning tradition. I'm not sure what Donnie and I are going to do. Drink water!?There are many memories of Lincoln Perk that do not even involve working there. It was always the first stop on the way out of town. Who wanted starbucks when you can get Lincoln Perk?! When I would go to Lincoln for football games, I often sent Mary a text in the mornings.."I NEED LINCOLN PERK!" Even Donnie would say starbucks and scooters were nothing compared to Perk coffee. The flavor of espresso and coffee beans made it special and you wanted to go back for more. Even in Norway I was sending Mary e-mails expressing how much I missed Lincoln Perk. They had great coffee even the "Giraffe" kind but it was not the same.
When I had my gallbladder removed who showed up with a Perk latte? Mary. I had not eaten real food for five days. I was the happiest person in America when Mary showed up. There was a coffee shop in the hospital even.
Kylie has gone from infant to Kindergarten and her favorite breakfast is cinnamon rolls and sausage bierrocks from Lincoln Perk. If you ask her "Would you rather have donut holes or Lincoln Perk?" 9 times out of 10 she picks Lincoln Perk. She wants to go see Mary, Taylor, Tyler, and Ellie. Even in the drive thru we roll down her back window so she can say hi to whomever is working. She even gets them to cut up her cinnamon roll. Kylie would bounce into the shop and make herself at home. Ana often got a greeting at the second window.Ask Taylor and Ellie about the robber that almost took them one morning. Stories like this can not be made up. These memories will cause laughter for years to come.
Customers made Lincoln Perk special. Waldean Wedel would come in and the whole place would be laughing and smiling. When he passed Mary closed Lincoln Perk for a few hours so everyone could attend his funeral. Bill West aka Santa is a sample at Lincoln Perk. We even joked at one point about putting him in the gelato case...had to be there for that story. Not so friendly customers made our favorite lists too. We always had something to smile and laugh about. I can't forget the Weavers! If I knew Lincoln Perk was closing early on a Friday night I would shoot them a message. Even in the last 6 months when I wasn't working there!
I'm thankful Mary is not moving far away. I know we will see her. I also know Mary deserves a year of vacations (maybe 9 years) to make up for all the hours she put into making Lincoln Perk amazing. Lincoln Perk maybe taking new ownership and I'm sure it will still be a great place. It just won't be Lincoln Perk in my heart. Stop by today for one last latte they close at 8.

No comments:
Post a Comment