Saturday, May 25, 2013

Positive Male Role Models

Today we say good bye to my Uncle Levi and celebrate the legacy he has left behind. Uncle Levi was technically my Great Great Uncle. Stay with me while I explain some more. Uncle Levi and Grandma Ella were brother and sister. Grandpa Richard was married to Grandpa Ella. Grandpa Richard's sister, Georgia married Uncle Levi. So this makes us all double cousins. It would be like my brother marrying Donnie's sister. It's kind of cool. Holidays are not awkward and weird we were all family.

Uncle Levi was more than just a Great Great Uncle. He was a GREAT uncle. He was a positive male role model and in this girl's life, that is big. I didn't have very many of those.

At his 60th wedding anniversary he told everyone "Never go to bed angry" and "always do everything together". Uncle Levi and Aunt Georgie (I call her Georgie) were ALWAYS together.

Before I got married I asked Uncle Levi to say some scripture at my wedding. He sat down with Donnie and I, he looked Donnie in the eyes and said, "You promise you're going to take care of her?" No one else said that to Donnie. Not that others didn't want to say it but no one else said it. Uncle Levi shook his hand and said "This means forever." We all smiled and laughed at the time.

Uncle Levi was in the military. He was a great singer. He was a loving husband. He loved his two children more than life. He was a great man. He was a Christian leader. I am honored to say he was also my Uncle among all those achievements.

Positive role models are a key to every one's life and I was lucky to have one of the greatest! It doesn't mean I always listened and did was I was told... but I always had his unconditional love and support.
I love you, Uncle. Give Grandma Ella a big hug and kiss from me. Tell Grandpa Richard I miss donut hole mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment