Last weekend, We spent Sunday at my inlaw's house. They live in the country and have a BIG back yard. It was like a setting to a little kids book. The girls played, found a frog, played tag, blew bubbles, and found caterpillars. Kylie jumped up and down and begged us to keep her caterpillar. I was fine with it but didn't think about how we would get it home. We ended up putting "him"/"her" in a red solo cup. She actually had three but we made her leave two because we were sure she would kill them. Look at our track record with "pets" Kylie fell asleep on the way home and her cup was tipping. I did what any normal parent would do, I put it in a ziploc bag. Looking back at it now, I feel horrible. I didn't want to hold it all the way home.I'm a horrible parent.
Once were home we searched for a jar. I ended up emptying our pickle jar. A brand new jar of pickles. I put them in a tupperware, washed out the jar, and put the caterpillar in his/her new home.
Kylie insisted that Jena with a G--"isn't that funny Mommy!" would love g . Me knowing nothing said sure. We put it in there. We added a small stick and some basil leaves. Hey they smell good!
Morning came and I was sure that this thing was going to be dead. I mean Gena went 30 min in a ziploc. Sure enough she was alive. "Don't kill her while I'm at school, Mommy!" Why am I to blame for things dying?
Tonight, Kylie noticed the caterpiller wasn't moving much. OH CRAP, the first day of full day kindergarten, she comes home and I've killed her "pet". Kylie didn't think that though. She informed us that when she wakes up the caterpillar will be in a cocoon. I said a couple prayers and promised God I wouldn't kill the next spider I saw. I would pardon the spider if he just lets this caterpillar live.
Just now I was turning off the kitchen light and I noticed the most beautiful chrysalis!!! Kylie was right!! She is going to be the happiest kid in the morning.
Gena is going to turn into the most beautiful Eastern Black Swallowtail.
Here is the link that I got the pictures from. http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/eastern_black_swallowtail.htm
No comments:
Post a Comment