Monday, March 7, 2011

On the road to hoarding?!?

My family and friends are always on my case for not saving stuff. I tend to throw everything away or give it away. Little do they know that if they opened my closet they might be attacked by rubber maid walls. Or maybe a photo frame would fall and hit them. I have rubber maid boxes stacked on top of each other. Only one has a lid on it. So they are not stacked neatly more sideways and leaning. One wrong move and they will fall on your feet!

This afternoon I took 20 minutes and drug them from the closet to our storage room. While putting them in their puzzle piece stacking order. I thought, "Do I really need anything from these?" I mean they have been sitting in boxes for months. If it was important stuff wouldn't I use it every day?

I opened one box it had Kirsten's "coming home from the hospital" outfit. It had a pink baseball bat with the Wranglers logo. Clearly it's not junk. But then I started thinking...Is that what hoarders tell themselves? Do they sit and think that. They have 20 boxes. I only have 6 right now but what if in six months I have 6 more and then 6 months after that. Maybe I'm on the road to hoarding!!?

Today I need advice. How do you know what to keep and what to throw away? How do I know if the girls will even care if they see the outfit they were brought home in. What if I keep it 20 years and they throw it away the first chance they get?? How do you know what will be important and not important?

Side note..I found $3.56 cents while cleaning the closet. A latte is $3.74 at Lincoln Perk. I'm pretty sure this is God's way of saying I need a latte today.

1 comment:

  1. My mom saved my outfit...and I now have it...I have saved all three of my kids outfits and I will give them to the kids when they have kids.
    I save things that have special meaning... especially after mom died, I have all of her stories and the one book she wrote but was never published, we haven't decided what to do with it yet. The Christmas before she died she made all of the little kids a hat and scarf...Darin has never worn it... she went into the hospital a few days after we had Christmas together, and I put it away to save...I didn't want to chance something happening to the last thing mom made him.
    I save art projects throughout the year and at the end of the year I go thru them and pick out one or two to put in a folder for Darin to give to him when he is older. I think it means more to girls, but I still do it.

    ReplyDelete