When you can't stand and you want to do a project with your kiddos here is a simple, messy, fun, and wearable project. It takes two days so your time is broken up. Your kids get to be creative. Here is what you need...
I bought a kit from JoAnn Fabrics it was on sale for a little over $5. But you can get all the supplies at a grocery store or walmart too. Rubber bands, gloves....
I used Orange and Black dye. I bought red because I would like to make a Husker shirt at some point. *Edit* I used these and they DO NOT WORK. Only use the TIE DYE kind. They sell it at walmart. I bought the first batch of black orange at joann fabrics.
The kit had these two bottles. The dye was already in them you just add water. I am estimating about half the packet of dye powder then fill to the line with water. They worked really well. I saved them for the next time I try this.
One ore more really cute kids. They make the project interesting.
Okay so you have your dye all read mixed. Put some gloves on. The kit had two sets and I used them both plus another pair of kitchen gloves. You really want to use gloves. Some of it got on my arm and I have black marks now. They would not wash off with soap and hot water. I used a cookie sheet under the shirt and a cup on the cookie sheet.
Then the same process for the black on the rest of the shirt. Then Kylie layed out the press n seal. We wrapped the orange by itself. Then wrapped the black. For extra I wrapped the whole thing one more time. Then left it on the kitchen counter to soak over night.
This morning we unwrapped the shirt. Cut off the rubber bands and put it in the washer on a medium load, warm wash with a dash of soap. Then dried the shirt.
Using the puffy paint Kylie and I free handed the web. Then added glitter fabric spiders. They were about a dollar at JoAnn Fabrics. I forgot to say the shirt was $4 at target. I just used a plain white tee.
For about $18 I had enough stuff for all three girls. The kit said 6 shirts but even with the drip cup I almost ran out of orange and did run out of black. I went to the food market and bought the black dye for the rest of the shirts. Kendal and Kirsten's are still soaking. I'm going to wait until they get home to do theirs.
Here is the finish project. Kylie wants to wear it for "S" week at school, this week. I hope it's dry in time for preschool. It said four hours for the puffy paint.
These are pictures of Kirsten's shirt. She added some "bling" to the collar and the spiders. Notice the black is gray. That is the Rit Black. So I learned my lesson and should research before buying what I thought was the right thing. Oh well I'm only out $1. She still likes Kylie's shirt better.
Can we have a party and make these for our kids next week? Seriously! Maybe Thursday afternoon?
ReplyDelete