About a week ago she brought home a dinosaur book. There were pages of facts about dinosaurs. She would ramble off a fact and I would say "that's awesome" I didn't have to beg her read. I let her read the same book for a week. She was memorizing each page. Every night at dinner I was learning something new.
I went on google and typed in "dinosaur museums Kansas" I knew there was one in KC and one in Hays. I was surprised to find a place in Wichita. I had never heard of the Museum of World Treasures. Donnie had never heard of it either. The girls were out of school on Friday so we took a field trip. Donnie used a half day of vacation.
Donnie and I had no idea where we were going. We parked behind the Old Town Hotel. We walked North a half of a block, then East a block, then South a block until we came to a map of Old Town. Then we realized we needed to go a half of a block South. We were 1/2 a block when we parked the car. Oh well. It was nice out. The girls have never been to old town. Not the first place you think of to take your children.
There is a huge sidewalk area in front of the museum. In the spring it would be a perfect place for an outdoor lunch. Kendal ran from the edge of the street to the front doors.
Notice she has her dinosaur book in hand. Kylie was trailing behind. Kirsten had to be carried from "all the walking" it was hurting her mouth. She had two fillings done, Wednesday.
{Which until this morning I had told her "There is no way it still hurts. Stop whining!" This morning I called the dentist to ask why she would still complain about it. Apparently it can hurt for up to 6 months. Wow. Learned something new about fillings. }
Once we got inside we had to wait about 10 minutes to buy tickets. The lady said she was one of the only employees because the rest were out with the flu. On a normal day I don't think it would take that long to get in.
This is Ivan the T-Rex. Kendal said "HURRY TAKE MY PICTURE SO MY CLASS WILL BELIEVE ME!" She was so excited. Luckily, this was the first thing we saw.
I don't think Kendal has ever wanted her picture taken this many times. She was so excited and opened her book to find the facts about each one. She couldn't believe she actually within feet of dinosaur bones!
I don't know why but this one made me laugh.
Donnie and Kendal were in dinosaur heaven.
Kylie thinks this one would have been her pet. "It won't eat me! It would live in my room!"
Tried to get Kylie to sit by the Buddha. She was disturbed about it not wearing clothing. "Why it naked, Mommy!?!?"
HMS Friends: Do you remember making these kind of masks in art?
Maybe I'm the only one... but these were pretty cool.
Mummies!
I told the girls not to come in the room they were in...but they wanted to see them and they actually thought it was cool.
We talked about the thorns that Jesus would have worn. We talked about the nails he had in his hands and feet. Kirsten was so sad. She said she didn't like looking at that because she knew Jesus would have been in so much pain.
I thought that part was neat until she continued..it was just like the pain in her mouth.
To which I replied, "Kirsten you are fine!"
On the second floor you were not aloud to take any pictures. It was hard because there were a lot of neat things on that flour. Letters from each of the Presidents. Except for Obama. Kendal really wanted to see how he signed his name but there was only a sign that said his letter would arrive soon. Gives us a reason to go back. The girls were able to sit at a desk like JFK's desk. They all pretended to be President and sign important paperwork. We looked at the different eras of military fashion. Kirsten and Kylie put on some uniforms and marched like soldiers.
Onto the third floor...
Knight Kirsten.
Princess Kylie and Princess Kendal
"If she show anyone this picture...I WILL DIE" Kendal's quote.
Kirsten really liked to dress up. lol. I still laugh out loud seeing this picture. She had about every accessory they had to offer. I'm pretty sure none of them went together. But she was very happy and loved it. They played for a while in this children's room. On the other side of the room they had an Air Hockey table..not sure how that fit in with the museum. Donnie, Kirsten and Kylie had a good time playing air hockey for a while. I enjoyed the corner full of books. Kendal had to compare her dinosaur book to the one they had.
Kylie insisted on me video taping her pupet show. The story lasted about 3 seconds.
They had some more things on the third floor but my camera died after this room.
We spent about an hour and half there on Friday. I had to get back to go to work but I think it was just enough time for Kylie. I would say 7 and older would really like the museum but Kylie did enjoy herself.
Kendal can hardly wait to tell her class and share her pictures. She is so fired up. To me that was worth a million dollars. To see your child excited and learning. The sparkle in her eye when she first saw Ivan. It was priceless.
http://www.worldtreasures.org/ here is a link. Check it out.
When we were driving home I asked the girls what the best part of the day was...
"Pop rocks in the gift shop." Kylie
"Daddy being with us!" Kirsten
" IVAN!!" Kendal
We are so blessed beyond words. It didn't take a ton of money and a long trip to Disney World or Sea World to make our children happy. It was a learning experience for all of us.
( Ps. I'm not knocking those things. I know our girls would LOVE either one of those trips.)
No comments:
Post a Comment