Friday, January 18, 2013

Donut Memories

I've had blogger's block. (instead of writer's block) I have about 10 drafts on my blogger feed. Every time I decide not to hit publish. I just don't feel it...I don't think anyone would care...Nothing exciting or interesting is really going on my life. Work, Raising kids, Sleeping, repeat.

Tonight I had a donut memory. Maybe because I had not had any real food. Donnie bought some Krispy Creme donuts for tomorrow's breakfast. I've been sick and he has to work tomorrow. He thought the girls could get their own breakfast and hopefully let me sleep or lay around. (This is one of the many reasons I keep him around.)

My Great Grandma Ella... I have so many memories of donuts with her.  I know this memory has to be when I was 3 or barely 4. Grandpa Richard would babysit me while Grandma was at work. He used a walker and couldn't come outside with me.  He told me if I was really good Grandma would bring me donut holes. I would play outside their big living room window in the drive way. I don't know what I played. Mostly waving at Grandpa and laughing. I just remember him smiling and waving back at me. I do not have a lot of memories of Grandpa because I was so young when he passed away. Sure enough Grandma Ella brought me my white bag with blue letters filled with donut holes. 
About age 5 or 6, My parents would give me money. I would walk down to daylight donuts in Abilene. We lived on 7th street. I would walk to the stoplight. From there, I would walk down to 3rd street or 2nd street. I'm not even sure what street the donut shop was on. I would get my donut then walk back home. I know 5 or 6 sounds young. I know I couldn't have been older than 7 because we moved from that house when I was barely 7.

In 5th grade, I moved to my Grandma Norma's and Grandpa Howard's house. Grandma Norma was a teacher. Before school on Tuesdays we would stop for donuts. Tuesday was the day for the early morning staff meetings.  Each morning they made a different flavor of turnovers. Raspberry was my favorite. I didn't mind being at school that early if I had a donut.

Grandma Ella had car insurance with State Farm. For her birthday every August they sent her a postcard for a free donut. She would always give me her postcard. I would snicker because the lady at the donut shop thought my name was Ella Dick. At least that is what I thought at the time. Grandma and I would both smile when I handed her the postcard. The lady would say "Did you have a good birthday, Ella?" Then the insurance company switched to McDonald's ice cream cones. It just wasn't the same. Or perhaps I had out grown the excitement.

I could go on about memories and donuts. The first time I tried a Krispy Creme. I was with Donnie. I was like a little kid. I loved watching the process of the donut being made...right in front of my own eyes! I had to tell my Grandma's about it. They then had to go to Wichita to see it themselves. They made sure to go in the morning, so they would not be shot. (inside joke)

Anyway, donuts are bad for you, they make you fat, they are full of sugar, dipped in grease and just horrible for you...but are they really? Maybe they are food for your soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment