Freshman year....You had to be asked by a junior or senior...setting Hillsboro High...
The first guy... He asked me on the phone would I go to prom with him if he were to ask me. The night before Valentine's Day. I guess he then called another girl and actually asked her. ..but hey he sent me a rose on Valentine's day! The girl and I were called to the office to pick up our matching roses at the same time. Sweet guy, huh?!? Still a funny memory. Okay maybe another funny story now but not so much at the time. Pretty sure I threw her cheer bag out the window of a car that night. I was a little crazy.
Second guy...well I never talked to him...no seriously... His big friend, a senior...Chad Duerksen, came to my locker. He said something about "Will you go with Derek to prom?" Who is going to tell that guy no? I just wanted to go to prom. I didn't really know who Derek was but my friends said he was a nice guy. We went on a pre-prom group date. Completely awkward..but everyone in the car got a detailed tour of Abilene. Jocelyn, I'm really sorry you had to be apart of that.
My follow blogging friend, Tonya will love this story. Ryan Bartel was a senior that year. His date was really funny. As we stand in line for photos with our dates. They were right in front of us. Ryan and Derek were friends, I think. She said some comment about "I have a bubble and I need everyone to stay out of my bubble. Do not pop my bubble!" Did I mention that I never talked to my date? Yeah pretty much the saddest prom ever. I feel really bad for Derek. I wasn't a great date. I so wish I could say that his date was Tonya and that was the first night of a lifetime of friendship. No this isn't a Hallmark movie, folks. I have no idea who the girl was but she wasn't half as pretty as Tonya, Love you!
Sophomore year....in Abilene...
![]() |
| What I wouldn't give to look like this again!!! |
Junior year...in Hillsboro...
Donnie refused to go to prom with me. He had graduated in 1998 this was 2001. He was not going to be "that guy". A sweet friend, Kaleb and I went together. I think I had a crush on Kaleb from 4th grade into middle school. He's super funny and a great guy. My dad let us use his car. It wasn't anything real special but it was my dad's car. We laughed, had pictures in the park..fun time...Until we were "cruising D street" and the car in front of us stopped and we tapped the back of it. The only damage was a small scrap. We were all freaked out. I mostly thought my dad was going to kill me. I ended up yelling at Kaleb. Being a total B! Kaleb if you read this, I am so sorry!! I know it's a funny memory but I still feel bad about it.
Happy Prom season parents and high school kids! Remember these moments. Remember to not be crazy when it doesn't go perfectly. You guys are going to have a blast. I look forward to seeing your prom photos blow up my facebook feed. I look forward to promenade.

Jena, I haven't checked your blog in months & months (sorry!) and I happened upon it today and really enjoyed your prom post! I'm sure Kaleb has no hard feelings :)
ReplyDelete