Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Junior Camp Packing

4 days. Four Days. 4.D-A-Y-S! However I say it, 4 days seems like a long time. My first "baby" is going to Junior Camp at Tabor College next week for FOUR DAYS!

I started to pack her bag today so if we need anything from Walmart we can get it. My first camp away from home/family/friends was girl scout camp at Marion Lake. I don't remember it being more than a night or two. I was about Kendal's age. I know I survived and my Grandma survived. I really didn't have a problem or worry until today. Yesterday I was even counting down to one less kid at home needing something.

What if she can't sleep at night? What if she doesn't find a friend and she's sad the whole time? What if she doesn't want to do the girl things and the boys make fun of her? What if she starts her period?? (Sorry TMI) But she's getting to that age. I don't want that to happen away from home. What if she gets hurt!? What if ...What if.... What if!!!

I got out my bible and thought about a couple verses. I looked them up to read the passages.
 
Matthew 6:34
 
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, (or next week) for tomorrow (next week) will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble on its own.
 
 
The Lord knows what she needs. He's going to be there for her. I need to trust him.
 
You shall teach them to your children, talking of them when you are sitting in your house, and when you are walking by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.
 
Kendal has a long way to go before she's off on her own. We have taught her what we know. We have taught her to pray and be thankful. My prayer is for her is to be confident in herself. Not to worry about what the other girls are doing or not doing. To have fun and be happy. If she plays dodge ball I have faith there will be other girls playing too. If her other three dorm room girls are going to the spa day and she goes to pop bottle rockets, she won't be laughed at but instead it will give them something to talk later on. I pray she will get the freedom to be her without Donnie and I telling her what to pick. Personally I would take the spa option but that's just me.
 
 
After reading my bible and doing some praying my What If questions have changed..
 
What if she has the best time ever? What if she comes back so excited and fired up about God that we can't stop her? What if she bonds with the other girls going from our church and they become better friends? What if she is standing before our church a few year or 10 years from now and talking about the camp that changed her life? What if...what if...what if...
 
I made some notes to put in her bible, her clothes, her bathroom bag...so she knows we are thinking and praying for her this week.
 
As for Momma over here...I'm still going to be anxious. I'm still going to be nervous but I'm going to be happy and excited for her. I may need a Kleenex on the way home but it's only 25 miles or so. She's not going out of state. She's not going to Asia. It's 25 miles in the town I grew up. She will be fine. She will be happy. She will be in God's care. God has placed the camp leaders at Tabor for a reason. He has given Kendal this opportunity for a reason.
 
My friends eyes will roll but my last verse is this one... (I may say it a lot.)
 
Jeremiah 29:11
 
 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Some of the spiritual highlights of a kid's life many times happens at camp. Pray for her, I think it will be the latter, What if's! This
    is the beginning of letting them learn to be on their own in small situations. So happy she gets to go!

    ReplyDelete