Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Just Like Me

Do you ever look at your children and think... wow...that is a mini me... and it scares you a little bit?

I've always seen my personality in each of my children. Don't get me wrong I see Donnie in them too. Tonight though it was like a mac truck slamming into my forehead.

Kendal has long legs, no waist, and needs new shorts. She does not like shopping. She does not like matching shirts and shorts. She does not like trying things on. She just wants to get it and go. But if I go to the store and buy her what I would like her to wear...she would never wear it. She has two shirts I got her for Christmas that still have tags on them. Learning to let her pick her style and be herself is really hard!! I want her to straighten her hair, curl it, heck put a bobby pin in it...SOMETHING!! But instead she brushes it once and goes about her day.

I thought about it tonight...That was me. I hated buying clothes. I still hate shopping for myself. I could be given $50 and told to buy myself jeans. I would go find the cheapest pair so I could spend the other $40 on something for the girls. I just don't like buying myself stuff. When I go clothes shopping I head straight to the sale rack, buy whatever is cheap, pray it matches and go on. If I could wear a pony tail everyday and never put make up on I would be happy. It takes too much time and I have better things to do. But I do it because I don't want to scare young children. I would like people to look at me and not think I crawled out of a gutter.

Donnie goes shopping he means business. He tries everything on. He tries on different styles. He could spend 2 hours trying on clothes and he would come out with one shirt and say he couldn't find anything he liked. He likes to shop. I am not making fun of him. It's one of things I love about him. He takes care of his appearance. No, looks are not everything but it's nice that he doesn't smell gross and looks nice most of the time. But it usually causes an argument when we are all together and he is taking 2 hours to find one thing. I am not kidding we spent 40 minutes looking for the right shade of neon yellow socks on Saturday. It makes me want to take the shopping cart and ram it into the wall over and over. It just drives me crazy.... When I realized this I realized...Kendal gets it from me. I don't want to go shopping and pick out matchy matchy stuff. I want to get what I need and go.

My aunts can't go to walmart with me. They like to look at things. I say it's walmart we have been their 5000 times things do not change that often. Lord help us when they move things. That would be another hour with my aunts shopping. I love them too. I am not making fun of them either. I just can't stand being in the store looking around at stuff. I know what I need and I want to get it and get out.

Okay sorry I got side tracked there. Just proving that she definitely gets that from me! I never did my hair. My family used to beg me to let them curl my hair. I would hate it and cry. The curling iron pulled my hair and burned me. Just not worth it.

Kendal LOVES babies. Whenever there is a baby around she wants to hold it. She loves giving them bottles and playing with them. She is so quiet that it sometimes shocks people. She overheard me talking about a baby shower this weekend and her ears perked up. She was so excited. She thought the twins were here. She wanted to know when they were born and how much they weighed. I told her that they were not here yet but we are just celebrating that they are coming. She asked if she can come to the baby shower with me. My jaw might have hit the ground. Kendal never wants to do anything with me. Usually I have to bribe her with candy and pop to watch a movie with me on the couch let alone go in public.

She gets this from me. I love it! I remember when my cousin, Austin, was born. Oh my goodness it was like a live doll to play with. Any excuse I had to go to Abilene to be with him I took it! I loved his cute little smile and said "Nina" and I was in heaven. Austin was my little buddy. I was Kendal's age.

Kendal would sit in her room ALL day as long as I brought her some bread and water a couple times a day. She could sit and play stuffed animals. She could play on her ds and ipod...legos..whatever it was she would do it on her own with no interruptions. That would be her dream day. ME!!! I used to sit in my room and color. I would sit and play barbies. I didn't want anyone to bug me. I just wanted to be on my own in my own thoughts. Now days I find myself staying up until 12 or 1 a.m. just so I have that time. I'm sure that's a "mom thing" but I still crave that alone time.


I guess the point of my blog today is... Take time to really look at your kids. I often get busy and think Kendal is nothing like me and I worry she is going to hate me and move 1,000 miles away when she turns 18. She might have some of my bad habits..ie: biting my nails. But she has a lot of good ones too. Her love for babies, her love for fast shopping, and her quietness. They are all a lot like me when I was 10. Maybe I'm not doing that bad of a job after all. We might butt heads and I think to myself there is no way I am going to make it through the teen years but it's because we are so much a like. Which isn't so bad. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment